We manage open repositories of digitized library Special Collections and current research data, works of scholarship, and learning objects created by Virginia Tech faculty, students, and staff. Our repositories include:
- Special Collections Online
- VTechWorks scholarship repository
- VTechData research data repository
- Odyssey learning object repository
- Imaging Collections
- Several digital humanities projects
We build new digital libraries and repositories and conduct research and development in digital library infrastructure, systems, applications, and services supporting knowledge management and dissemination at Virginia Tech and beyond. A few of our development projects include:
- Development of a curation workbench for an IMLS funded project to automate digital preservation microservices for research data submitted with electronic thesis and dissertations
- A repository system for a CLIR funded project to digitize and publish architectural drawings and associated assets from our International Archive of Women in Architecture collection
- IMLS funded research on library cyberinfrastructure that can handle big datasets (a partnership with Virginia Tech Digital Library Research Lab and Smart Infrastructure Lab)
- A project to increase the accessibility of VTechWorks collections by adding closed-caption subtitles to approximately 250 hours of video content
- Contributions to community driven digital library R&D including DSpace, Fedora, Samvera, AltMetrics, and Web archiving.
We digitize archival materials and artifacts for new digital collections, including cultural heritage and natural history collections at the University and from around the region.
We preserve our digital library and repository content to ensure future accessibility and usability of digital assets using local digital preservation systems and geographically distributed digital preservation networks such as MetaArchive and Academic Preservation Trust, and by performing a biannual crawl and harvest of Virginia Tech’s web presence using Internet Archive’s Archive-It service.