Finding and Checking out Reserves
- Find reserves using the Course Reserves section on Discovery Search.
- Search for either the instructor’s name or the course abbreviation (e.g., CS 4234 or EDCI 5724).
- Select up to 3 items to check out at one time.
- Write down the call number, located in the third column of the search results, and bring it to the Newman Services Desk.
Reserves include instructor-requested materials as well as library-owned copies of textbooks for current Virginia Tech classes. Reserves are held at the Newman Services Desk. Due to high demand, these items check out for one of the following shorter loan periods:
- 2 hours
- 3 hours
- 2 days
- 7 days
To renew a Reserve item, bring the item and your Hokie Passport to the Newman Services Desk. Keep in mind that renewals will not be approved in the following situations:
- During Exam Week and Reading Day
- If another patron is waiting on the item
- If a staff member has determined a time of peak usage
- If the item is in need of repair
Fines for Reserves
Hourly Reserve items (2 Hour Loan and 3 Hour Loan) are fined $10.00/hour overdue. Daily Reserve items (2 Day Loan and 7 Day Loan) are fined at $10.00/day overdue.
Types of Material You Can Place on Reserve
- Library books (government documents, text books, etc) and media materials (videos, DVDs, slides, compact discs, audiocassettes).
- Your personal copies of books or magazines.
- Your lecture notes, old tests or photocopies of articles.
- Electronic files: including PDFs, video clips, audio clips, images.
Placing Library Materials on Reserve
- Complete and submit a Reserve Request Form (we have an online and a paper version). You will need the title, call number, and author for all requested items.
- On the form select one of the following loan periods.
- 2 hours
- 3 hours (media use only)
- 2 days
- 7 days
- Library staff will retrieve the item(s) and process the reserve request in 2 to 5 days.
Placing Personally-owned Materials on Reserve
- For personal material you will need to submit a paper Reserve Request Form along with the item(s) you wish to place on reserve. (Please remember that the form will need to be signed by the instructor placing the item(s) on reserve or a designated proxy.)
- Library staff will process the reserve request in 2 to 5 days.
- After the end of exams personal materials will be mailed back to the address listed on your reserve form.
Placing Articles and Ebooks on Reserve
- Ebooks and online articles can be added to your course's reserve list.
- We can scan articles and book chapters found in our print journals and books, and we can link directly to online articles directly
- Ebooks cannot be reserved for a single class to access. We can, however, add direct links to Ebooks to the list of items reserved for your course.
For questions related to reserves contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.