Data Consulting Lab
About the Data Consulting Lab (DCL)
The Data Consulting Lab, formally know as the Data Transformation Lab, supports the analysis, curation, sharing, and archiving of data. Additionally, we provide support for a variety of geospatial information systems (GIS). Our specialized hardware, software, and consultations are open to everyone but especially useful for VT community members working with research data.
Partners consulting in the lab:
Workstations are available by reservation only. To schedule access on a workstation email firstname.lastname@example.org with a list of times you would like access.
For a list of software available on the Data Processing workstations please refer to the What we Offer tab.
- Data Processing Workstation (1)
- Data Processing Workstation (2)
The University Libraries has developed a studio to support the transformation, curation, and sharing of research data. The Data Transformation Lab’s activities will include:
- Support for transformation of proprietary file types to more accessible formats,
- Support for visualization of data using geospatial information systems (including geocoding, georeferencing, symbolization, and lidar processing)
- Provide processes and best practices for data publishing and archiving.
The Data Transformation Studio includes:
- Expert assistance and trained student staff!
- Two computers (PC) loaded with popular data processing software, such as:
- ArcGIS Pro
- NVivo 11
- Minitab 18
- StataMP 15
- JMP Pro 13