Virtual Environments Studio
The Virtual Environments Studio is a place for students, faculty, and patrons to experience virtual reality in a relaxed setting without having any prior knowledge of the technology. We provide the hardware and software for games, movies, artistic experiences, and educational content. Reserve your time to come and play or to test out your own prototype projects.
- HTC Vive Pro
- Oculus Rift
- HP Windows Mixed Reality Headset
- Oculus Go
- Lenovo Mirage
- HTC Vive Trackers
- PC with Xeon 6-core processor, 32GB of RAM, and an Nvidia GTX 1080ti
If you are interested in the Microsoft Hololens, it can be checked out from Media Design Studio A by making a booking.
- Unity 3D
- Unreal Engine
- Fusion 360
- OBS Studio
- Visual Studio Code
- Visual Studio
If you want to know what kinds of VR experiences are preinstalled in the studio, please see this list.
- Job Ad – Want to work at the Virtual Environments Studio? The job ad lists job responsibilities and contains a link to the application form.
- Request an Experience – Fill out this form to request a new game/experience/software to the studio. All requests will be reviewed against our acquisition policy.
- Acquisition Policy – The studio’s policy for the types of experiences we will and will not acquire for the patron use.
- List of Available Experiences – View a list of the experiences we currently have available in the studio.
Virtual Reality / Augmented Reality Development
- The Cube at Moss Arts Center
- Perform + Experience Studios at Moss Arts Center
- Advanced Research Computing Visualization Services
- VR at Virginia Tech in the news
Software Learning Resources
- Lynda.com – Virtual Reality tutorials for beginners.
- Unreal – tutorials for using the VR development software Unreal.
- Unity – tutorials for using the VR development software Unity.
Hardware Guides and Manuals