Applied Research in Immersive Experiences and Simulations (ARIES)
The Applied Research in Immersive Experiences and Simulations (ARIES) program in the University Libraries is a destination for students to:
- Discover, create and share their own creations in the form of games, simulations, virtual reality, and augmented reality experiences for learning and entertainment;
- Have formal and informal interactions with interested peers, faculty, industry partners, and researchers; and
- Apply immersive environments and simulations to the content creation and educational programs provided by the University Libraries.
Facilities and Equipment
The ARIES program is housed within the Virtual Environments Studios on the fourth floor of Newman Library. The studios include three rooms with the most current wearable virtual and augmented reality equipment, high-end Windows workstations for development, a motion capture stage, mixed reality recording facility, and spatial audio studio.
Faculty | Research and Development
ARIES can provide the development needed for research on or with immersive technologies, such as the modeling and programming needed for a virtual anatomy simulation or a historic site visit in augmented reality. Contact Todd Ogle, Executive Director, to learn how ARIES can partner with you on grant proposals, research, and development. ARIES can provide help in:
- 3D Modeling
- Laser scanning
- Game engine programming
- 360 video production
- WebXR development, and more!
The ARIES program’s studio prepares you for the workforce with hands-on, experiential learning opportunities through interdisciplinary work in immersive environments development, gaming for entertainment and learning, evaluation, visualization design, and development. You can engage via independent studies, field studies, coursework, and wage positions. Skills developed include:
- Aerial and Terrestrial Photogrammetry, Laser scanning
- Archival Research, Print Graphics, Motion Graphics
- 3D modeling and Retopologizing
- Game Engine Programming for VR and AR
- 360-degree Video Production
What Past Partners Have Said
“I wanted to thank you for giving me the chance to work with you and the ARIES team this past semester. It was an amazing experience that grew my knowledge and helped me get into grad school. This job was exactly what I needed to start my path into geospatial research. The projects you are working on are very interesting and a joy to be involved in.”
“I'd like to thank you and the team for all the opportunities you've provided to me and all the creative students here; you've opened more doorways for us than you probably know.”