Studios Technology Lending Desk
The Studios Technology Lending Desk offers various pieces of equipment for members of the Virginia Tech campus community to checkout for free. Use our variety of hardware and software to create or co-create all kinds of media projects, including video, audio, and other multimedia. We also have a large collection of research devices, laptops, and other speciality equipment, so if you are looking for something specific, use the link to the right to see our full inventory.
- Blue Yeti USB Microphones
- Boom Mic Kit
- Microphone Stand
- Pioneer DDJ-SX2 Controllerj
- Portable PA System with Wireless Bodypack Microphone
- QSC TouchMix-8 Compact Digital Mixer
- Shure 18″ Gooseneck Microphone (XLR Connection)
- Shure Handheld Microphone
- Sony Wired Lavalier Microphone (XLR cable)
- Sony XLR Adaptor Kit
- Sound Booths (Large and Small)
- Tascam DR-100mkll – 2-Channel Linear PCM Recorder
- Wireless Microphones (for video cameras)
- Yamaha STAGEPAS 600 Speaker System
- Zoom F4 Field Recorders
- Zoom H1 Audio Recorders
- Zoom H2N Audio Recorders
- Zoom H4N Audio Recorders
- Zoom H6 Kit
- 3-Way Pan and Tilt Tripods
- AV.io 4K Video Converter
- Canon 80D
- Canon HF G20 Video Camera
- Canon HF M52 Video Cameras
- Canon HF S20 Video Cameras
- Canon XA10 HD Camcorder
- Gimbal (for GoPros)
- GoPro Fusion Action Cameras
- GoPro Hero 4 Cameras
- GoPro Hero 7 Black Camera
- GoPro Session Cameras
- GorillaPod GoPro Tripod
- GorillaPod X GoPro Tripods
- Manfrotto 190PROB Fluid Head Tripod
- Manfrotto 701HDV Fluid Head Tripod
- Nikon 35mm Lens
- Nikon 55mm-200mm Lens
- Nikon 70mm-200mm Lens
- Nikon D5500 Photography Camera
- Nikon D5600 Photography Camera
- Nikon D7100 Photography Camera
- Nikon z7 Full Frame with 24-70mm f/4 Lens
- Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II with 12-100mm f/4 Lens
- Olympus Tripod
- Osmo 2 Smartphone Gimbal
- Pan & Tilt Tripod (for video)
- Panasonic HC-V750 Video Camera
- Panasonic HC-VX870 Video Camera
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 4K Camera
- Photography Tripods
- Ronin-S DSLR Gimbal
- Samyang 10mm Cine Lens
- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 OS HSM Lens for Nikon F
- Sony a6000 Camera
- Sony a7S II Full Frame Camera
- Sony Cybershot RX10 IV Camera
- Sony EX1R Video Camera
- Sony NEX-6 Camera
- 5-in-1 Collapsible Oval Reflector Kit
- Background System Kit
- Dracast LED500 Light Kits
- Litepanels LED Light Kits
- Lowel Tota 2 Light Kit
- Arduino Kit
- Blu-Ray Player
- Dell Latitude
- Epson Projector
- HoloLens Augmented Reality Headset
- HTC Vive Virtual Reality Kit with Alienware Laptop, Controllers, and Lighthouse Sensors
- iPad Air Tablets
- iPad Pro Tablets
- Leap Motion Controller
- MacBook Air Laptops
- Nintendo Switch Gaming Kit
- Oculus Go Virtual Reality Headset
- Sphero Ollie Darside Robot
- University Libraries Self-Paced Tour
- VHS Player
- VHS/DVD Combo Unit
- Wacom Tablet
- Windows Asus Laptops
- Windows Lenovo Thinkpad Laptops
- Windows Mixed Reality Headset (requires laptop for use)
- DJI FPV Goggles
- DJI Mavic 2 Pro Drone with Wide Angle Camera
- DJI Mavic 2 Zoom Drone
- DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Drones with Camera and Gimbal
- DJI Spark Drones with with 1080p Camera
- Hover Camera Drone
- Ryze Tello Drone Kits
The Studios Technology Lending Desk also manages the Media Production Suite, a series of 4 bookable rooms on the 4th floor of Newman Library that act as a media editing and production computer lab. Additionally, one of the rooms has a robust collection of digitization equipment to convert various forms of media to other formats. See the list below for a full account of the hardware and software available in the suite, and go to our booking page to reserve one of the rooms.
- Adobe Creative Cloud - including Adobe Audition, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, InDesign, Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere Pro, and more!
- Audacity - a free, open-source digital audio recording and editing software
- Final Cut Pro - a video editing program developed by Apple
- GarageBand - an audio recording and editing program developed by Apple
- iMovie - a video editing program developed by Apple
- Keynote - a presentation software application developed by Apple
- Microsoft Office Suite - Excel, One Note, Outlook, Powerpoint, and Word
- Text Wrangler - all-purpose text and code editor for macOS
- Xcode - the official app development software for Apple products
- 7 Wonders
- Betrayal at the House on the Hill
- Dead Man’s Draw
- Dungeons and Dragons Dungeon Master’s Kit
- Dungeon and Dragons Player Kits
- Exploding Kittens
- Gaming Table (on the fourth floor of Newman Library)
- One Night Ultimate Werewolf
- Settlers of Catan
- Sheriff of Nottingham
- Star Wars Risk
- Ticket to Ride
- We Didn’t Playtest This At All
You agree to these policies by booking any items and equipment through the Lending Desk. You can make bookings through bookings.lib.vt.edu. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding these policies.
- OVERDUE FEES ARE $25 PER DAY PER ITEM. Fees are paid through the Bursar's Office. Processing time is minimum 7 days.
- Please be prepared to show a form of photo ID when checking out items from the Lending Desk. If someone else is picking up for you, email email@example.com ahead of the booking start time authorizing that individual to check out items on your behalf.
- Return items before the day and time listed when your booking is confirmed. Overdue fees begin at the time and date listed on your booking as the return time.
- Return all equipment/items listed on the tag unless otherwise noted at time of checkout.
- Patrons are responsible for pulling data off of their equipment before their due date and time. Upon return, all data, files, and programs will be erased and equipment will be reset to its original check-out status.
- You will be billed for repair or replacement for broken, lost, or stolen equipment. Costs may include a service fee for time taken to repair or order components for the equipment.
- Equipment will be assessed upon both check-out and return to determine if these costs are necessary.
- If equipment is stolen while in your care, immediately notify the Studios Technology Lending Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and the local Police Department where it was stolen.
- Report any problems or issues with equipment during the loan period via email (email@example.com) or upon return to the Studios Technology Lending Desk.
- Items may not be reserved nor renewed for back-to-back periods. Inventory is limited, and we wish for as many patrons as possible to be able to use equipment. Back-to-back bookings will be cancelled without notice, and suspension of lending services will be applied as appropriate.
- As inventory is limited, a patron may not check out a majority of any item without approval of studio management staff.
- For items requiring management approval, approval requests must be made at least 5 business days prior to booking requests.
- Making a booking does not guarantee an item's availability. Exact item booked may be swapped at time of check out for similar item.
- Borrowing privileges for equipment from Newman Library can be revoked for failure to follow these terms, failure to pay fines, abuse of equipment, violations of the VT Principles of Community, or abuse of lending policies.
- Patrons must follow all directive from library staff, including orders to leave the building in the situation in which the library needs to close early.
- The studio may close on short or no notice due to safety or staffing reasons. Effort will be made to notify patrons of closures and accommodate missed check-outs and check-ins.
- Do not leave equipment at the desk unattended when desk is closed. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an alternative drop-off time and date.
- Laptops contain software so anything on the primary drive gets erased on restart. Save your work to the cloud or an external drive as needed.
- Laptops are intended for general use only. Software installs that require a restart will not work.
- We are not responsible for, nor can we recover, lost data.
- Upon return a laptop, patrons can make a new booking for a laptop, but not back-to-back as per previous rule. Laptops may take up to 24 hours to be ready for future checkout.
The Lending Desk will close for the week of August 15 through August 21. Equipment lending will be unavailable for this period.
Open hours for the Fall semester begin August 22, 2022. Please be patient with us if the Lending Desk is unexpectedly closed during the hours posted below.
Monday - Thursday: 10am - 9pm
Friday: 10am - 6pm
Saturday - Sunday: 12pm - 5pm
The Lending Desk closes for official university closings and most holidays.
The Studios Network offers many free workshops on various technologies, including creating and devoloping media projects. See our list of upcoming workshops for information on how to register.
We offer consultations on topics like audio and video project development, graphic design, and more. Visit our consultations page to see what topics we cover and request a time to speak with someone.
Open positions for student employment in the Studios Network are listed on Handshake.com. If you are interested in working in one or more of the studios and have questions, please reach out to email@example.com for more information on current opportunities.