Studios Technology Lending Desk
The Studios Technology Lending Desk offers various pieces of equipment for members of the Virginia Tech campus community to checkout for free. Use our variety of hardware and software to create or co-create all kinds of media projects, including video, audio, and other multimedia. We also have a large collection of research devices, laptops, and other speciality equipment, so if you are looking for something specific, use the link to the right to see our full inventory.
- Blue Yeti USB Microphones
- Boom Mic Kit
- Microphone Stand
- Pioneer DDJ-SX2 Controllerj
- Portable PA System with Wireless Bodypack Microphone
- QSC TouchMix-8 Compact Digital Mixer
- Shure 18″ Gooseneck Microphone (XLR Connection)
- Shure Handheld Microphone
- Sony Wired Lavalier Microphone (XLR cable)
- Sony XLR Adaptor Kit
- Sound Booths (Large and Small)
- Tascam DR-100mkll – 2-Channel Linear PCM Recorder
- Wireless Microphones (for video cameras)
- Yamaha STAGEPAS 600 Speaker System
- Zoom F4 Field Recorders
- Zoom H1 Audio Recorders
- Zoom H2N Audio Recorders
- Zoom H4N Audio Recorders
- Zoom H6 Kit
- 3-Way Pan and Tilt Tripods
- AV.io 4K Video Converter
- Canon 80D
- Canon HF G20 Video Camera
- Canon HF M52 Video Cameras
- Canon HF S20 Video Cameras
- Canon XA10 HD Camcorder
- Gimbal (for GoPros)
- GoPro Fusion Action Cameras
- GoPro Hero 4 Cameras
- GoPro Hero 7 Black Camera
- GoPro Session Cameras
- GorillaPod GoPro Tripod
- GorillaPod X GoPro Tripods
- Manfrotto 190PROB Fluid Head Tripod
- Manfrotto 701HDV Fluid Head Tripod
- Nikon 35mm Lens
- Nikon 55mm-200mm Lens
- Nikon 70mm-200mm Lens
- Nikon D5500 Photography Camera
- Nikon D5600 Photography Camera
- Nikon D7100 Photography Camera
- Nikon z7 Full Frame with 24-70mm f/4 Lens
- Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II with 12-100mm f/4 Lens
- Olympus Tripod
- Osmo 2 Smartphone Gimbal
- Pan & Tilt Tripod (for video)
- Panasonic HC-V750 Video Camera
- Panasonic HC-VX870 Video Camera
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 4K Camera
- Photography Tripods
- Ronin-S DSLR Gimbal
- Samyang 10mm Cine Lens
- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 OS HSM Lens for Nikon F
- Sony a6000 Camera
- Sony a7S II Full Frame Camera
- Sony Cybershot RX10 IV Camera
- Sony EX1R Video Camera
- Sony NEX-6 Camera
- 5-in-1 Collapsible Oval Reflector Kit
- Background System Kit
- Dracast LED500 Light Kits
- Litepanels LED Light Kits
- Lowel Tota 2 Light Kit
- Arduino Kit
- Blu-Ray Player
- Dell Latitude
- Epson Projector
- HoloLens Augmented Reality Headset
- HTC Vive Virtual Reality Kit with Alienware Laptop, Controllers, and Lighthouse Sensors
- iPad Air Tablets
- iPad Pro Tablets
- Leap Motion Controller
- MacBook Air Laptops
- Nintendo Switch Gaming Kit
- Oculus Go Virtual Reality Headset
- Sphero Ollie Darside Robot
- University Libraries Self-Paced Tour
- VHS Player
- VHS/DVD Combo Unit
- Wacom Tablet
- Windows Asus Laptops
- Windows Lenovo Thinkpad Laptops
- Windows Mixed Reality Headset (requires laptop for use)
- DJI FPV Goggles
- DJI Mavic 2 Pro Drone with Wide Angle Camera
- DJI Mavic 2 Zoom Drone
- DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Drones with Camera and Gimbal
- DJI Spark Drones with with 1080p Camera
- Hover Camera Drone
- Ryze Tello Drone Kits
The Studios Technology Lending Desk also manages the Media Production Suite, a series of 4 bookable rooms on the 4th floor of Newman Library that act as a media editing and production computer lab. Additionally, one of the rooms has a robust collection of digitization equipment to convert various forms of media to other formats. See the list below for a full account of the hardware and software available in the suite, and go to our booking page to reserve one of the rooms.
- Adobe Creative Cloud - including Adobe Audition, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, InDesign, Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere Pro, and more!
- Alice 3 - an open-source programming language to create 3D models
- Android Studio - the official software for Android app development
- Audacity - a free, open-source digital audio recording and editing software
- Autodesk - a free and open-source software for creating 3D graphics
- Camtasia 2 - a video editing software that offers screen capture recording
- Final Cut Pro - a video editing program developed by Apple
- GarageBand - an audio recording and editing program developed by Apple
- Greenfoot - a program that offers easy development of 2D simulations
- Handbrake - free and open-source transcoder for digital video files
- iMovie - a video editing program developed by Apple
- Keynote - a presentation software application developed by Apple
- Microsoft Office Suite - Excel, One Note, Outlook, Powerpoint, and Word
- Motion - a video production program for creating motion graphics
- Pixelmator - a graphics editing software developed for macOS users
- Quik - a program for editing and sharing GoPro footage
- Sketchup 2016 - a 3D modeling computer program
- Sublime Text - a text editor program that supports many programming and markup languages
- Text Wrangler - all-purpose text and code editor for macOS
- Xcode - the official app development software for Apple products
- 7 Wonders
- Betrayal at the House on the Hill
- Dead Man’s Draw
- Dungeons and Dragons Dungeon Master’s Kit
- Dungeon and Dragons Player Kits
- Exploding Kittens
- Gaming Table (on the fourth floor of Newman Library)
- One Night Ultimate Werewolf
- Settlers of Catan
- Sheriff of Nottingham
- Star Wars Risk
- Ticket to Ride
- We Didn’t Playtest This At All
Patrons are responsible for the following:
- OVERDUE FEES ARE $25 PER DAY.
- Items are due by the end of business on the due date.
- Returning all equipment/items listed on the tag.
- You will be billed for repair or replacement for broken, lost, or stolen equipment. Amount of replacement costs are available upon request.
- Equipment will be assessed upon both check-out and return to determine if these costs are necessary.
- If equipment is stolen while in your care, immediately notify the Media Design Studio and the local Police Department.
- Report any problems or issues with equipment during the loan period upon return to Media Design Studio A.
- Borrowing privileges for equipment from Newman Library and access to the computer lab portion of the studio can be revoked for failure to pay fines, abuse of equipment, or abuse of lending policies.
Personal Data and Information
- Laptops and iPads are preloaded with a folder of sample files and applications, with the understanding that all data added by the borrower will be erased when the laptop or iPad is returned to Media Design Studio.
- Upon return, all data, files, and programs will be erased and the computer will be reset to its original check-out status.
- Laptops cannot be booked in advance due to the number of requests. They are first-come, first-served.
- Laptops contain Deep Freeze so anything on the primary drive gets erased on restart. Save your work to the “Thawed” space, the cloud, or an external drive as needed.
- We are not responsible for, nor can we recover, lost data.
- When returning a laptop, it cannot be renewed and may take up to 24 hours to be ready for future checkout.
- Items may not be reserved nor renewed for back-to-back periods. Inventory is limited, and we wish for as many patrons as possible to be able to use equipment.
- As inventory is limited, a patron may not check out a majority of any item (such as all the light kits, or five projectors) UNLESS it has been approved by the Studio manager.
- Borrowing privileges for equipment from Newman Library can be revoked for failure to pay fines, abuse of equipment, or abuse of lending policies.
Please read, as failure to follow these terms could mean forfeiture of your access to the University Libraries Studios Network.
Currently Virginia Tech requires the proper use of masks by all individuals, regardless of vaccination status, when indoors in designated public areas. All patrons of the University Libraries Studios must adhere to this policy. The Studios will continue to follow guidance provided by the University and the state in regards to COVID-19 precautions.
Patrons need to vacate the bookable Studios promptly at the end of their booking, even if no one is waiting to use the space. This is to help avoid close contact between patrons and allow for the student worker to clean the Studio before the next patron comes in.
Patrons may not move furniture. All furniture is placed in such a way to ensure safety protocols from the state and the University are followed. All seats, tables, and power towers must not be moved.
Patrons must follow all directives from library staff, including orders to leave the building in the situation in which the library needs to close early.
In the event that one or multiple of these terms are broken, any or all of the following actions can be taken:
- Patron receives a warning from library staff
- Patron’s booking is forfeited
- Patron is asked to leave the building
- Patron’s access to the booking system is revoked
- A Student Code of Conduct violation is filed with the Office of Student Affairs
Monday - Thursday: 10am - 9pm
Friday: 10am - 6pm
Saturday - Sunday: 12pm - 5pm
The Studio will be closed September 6 and November 20 - 28 in observance of holidays.
The Studios Network offers many free workshops on various technologies, including creating and devoloping media projects. See our list of upcoming workshops for information on how to register.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by Torgersen Bridge, Room 3320
We offer consultations on topics like audio and video project development, graphic design, and more. Visit our consultations page to see what topics we cover and request a time to speak with someone.
Open positions for student employment in the Studios Network are listed on Handshake.com. If you are interested in working in one or more of the studios and have questions, please reach out to email@example.com for more information on current opportunities.