3D Scanning Studio
The 3D Scanning Studio provides digitization of real world objects with state of the art equipment. In this space, you can bring your projects from the physical world to digital realms. Located on the second floor of Newman Library on Virginia Tech campus, we accept all patrons of the University Libraries.
- Book an appointment with us through this link.
- Be prepared to leave your object in our care. If you cannot leave your object with us, please email 3DStudio@vt.edu to determine a more specific scanning appointment.
- If you have questions about whether we can scan your object, email us at 3DStudio@vt.edu. We recommend only trying to scan objects that are:
- Not very shiny
- Are fairly rigid or immobile
- Are human sized or smaller
3D Scanning Policies
- No explicit, obscene, or gratuitous objects
- No trademarked or copyrighted materials
- If you think your object potentially falls into one of these categories but warrants an exception, please book a consultation here.
Patrons and users are responsible for the following:
- Upon arrival, inform the student worker that you have a scheduled booking.
- Arrive within 30 minutes of your booking time or the reservation is forfeited, and the room becomes available for others on a first-come, first-served basis for the remainder of the reservation period
- Leave the room in good condition for the next patrons, including resetting the room and placing trash in trash bins.
- Report any problems or issues with the space or equipment a Studio staff member immediately.
- Don’t leave your personal property unattended, including library materials that have been checked out. The Library is not liable for loss/damage to personal property.
Personal Data and Information
- Studios equipment is preloaded with available applications, and temporary storage space is available during your booking. Long-term storage is not guaranteed. We are not responsible for, nor can we recover, lost data.
- Equipment owned by the University Libraries should not be removed from the Studio without prior approval from management.
- Studios are not intended to provide privacy. Library staff may enter the rooms as needed for security, maintenance, or other reasons.
- To cancel a reservation, login to bookings.lib.vt.edu.
- Library Management reserves the right to resolve schedule problems by adjusting reservations or schedules.
- Patrons must follow all directives from library staff, including orders to leave the building in the situation in which the library needs to close early.
Repeated violations of these policies could result in administrative action, including – but not limited to – deletion of reservations or removal of an individual’s ability to make Studios reservations.
Please note, Studios’ management does not guarantee the availability of all advertised hardware or software. Some advanced equipment may require consultation with the Studio manager before it will be made available.
Software and Other Equipment
Open Hours starting January 17, 2023
Tuesday: 10am-1:30pm, 2pm-6pm
The Studio closes for most breaks, holidays, and official university closings. Visit the University Libraries hours page for info on closures and open hours updates.
The Studios Network offers many free workshops on various technologies, including 3D modeling and photogrammetry. See our list of upcoming workshops for information on how to register.
Email 3DStudio@vt.edu or stop by Newman Library, Room 2010
We offer consultations on topics like 3D design, printing, scanning, and more. Visit our consultations page to see what topics we cover and request a time to speak with someone.
Open positions for student employment in the Studios Network are listed on Handshake.com. If you are interested in working in one or more of the studios and have questions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on current opportunities.