Media Design Studio B
Media Design Studio B is a bookable space for library patrons to create or co-create various types of media independently or with help from our staff. Use our variety of hardware and software to record videos, record audio and music, and edit or produce your project on our computer workstations.
During the Spring 2021 semester, Media Design Studio B will only accept bookings made 24 hours in advance. We will not be open for walk-ins. A maximum of two patrons can be in the space for a booking. Padding time between bookings will automatically be added to the system to facilitate cleaning and allow for air circulation in the room. Face coverings will be required while in the space and can only be removed by patrons if they are actively recording audio or video that requires their voice.
If you plan to use Studios Network services during the Spring 2021 semester, please review the policies listed below before coming to the library.
- Adobe Creative Cloud (Mac/PC)
- Camtasia (Mac/PC)
- Articulate Storyline (PC)
- Microsoft Office Suite (Mac/PC)
- Audacity Mac/PC)
- Inkscape (PC)
- GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP) (PC)
- Garageband (Mac)
Patrons and users are responsible for the following:
- Upon arrival, inform the student worker that you have a scheduled booking.
- Arrive within 30 minutes of your booking time or the reservation is forfeited, and the room becomes available for others on a first-come, first-served basis for the remainder of the reservation period.
- Leave the room in good condition for the next patrons, including resetting the room and placing trash in trash bins.
- You will be billed for repair or replacement for broken, lost, or stolen equipment. Amount of replacement costs are available upon request. Equipment will be assessed upon completion of booking to determine if these costs are necessary.
- Report any problems or issues with the space or equipment a Studio staff member immediately.
- Don’t leave your personal property unattended, including library materials that have been checked out. The Library is not liable for loss/damage to personal property.
Personal Data and Information
- Studios equipment is preloaded with available applications, and temporary storage space is available during your booking. Long-term storage is not guaranteed. We are not responsible for, nor can we recover, lost data.
- Reservations are limited to 2 hours total per person, per day but could be extended with special permission from management.
- Equipment owned by the University Libraries should not be removed from the Studio without prior approval from management.
- Studios are not intended to provide privacy. Library staff may enter the rooms as needed for security, maintenance, or other reasons.
- Library Management reserves the right to resolve schedule problems by adjusting reservations or schedules.
- To cancel a reservation, login to bookings.lib.vt.edu.
Repeated violations of these policies could result in administrative action, including – but not limited to – deletion of reservations or removal of an individual’s ability to make Studios reservations.
Please note, Studios’ management does not guarantee the availability of all advertised hardware or software due to unforeseen maintenance. Some advanced equipment may require consultation with the Studio manager before it will be made available.
Please read, as failure to follow these terms could mean forfeiture of your access to the University Libraries Studios Network.
All patrons in the library will be required to wear a face covering of some sort at all times while in the building (those users who cannot wear a cloth mask for health reasons will need to wear a face shield). Removing your face covering can be grounds for forfeiture of services provided to you and you will be asked to leave the building. In order to protect public health, the University Libraries reserves the right to shut down the building in the case that compliance with the mask mandate is not being met by patrons.
Patrons need to vacate the bookable Studios promptly at the end of their booking, even if no one is waiting to use the space. A buffer is built into the system to help avoid close contact between patrons and allow for the student worker to clean the Studio before their booking starts.
Patrons may not move furniture. All furniture is placed in such a way to ensure safety protocols from the state and the University are followed. All seats, tables, and power towers are linked in our booking system and must not be moved.
The bookable spaces (Media Design Studio B, Virtual Environments Studio, and lecture capture services in the Data Viz Studio) are only available by appointment. Walk-ins will not be accepted. Please note that these spaces have limited room capacities as well and groups larger than 1-2 people will not be admitted.
Patrons must follow all directives from library staff, including orders to leave the building in the situation in which the library needs to close early.
In the event that one or multiple of these terms are broken, any or all of the following actions can be taken:
- Patron receives a warning from library staff
- Patron’s booking is forfeited
- Patron is asked to leave the building
- Patron’s access to the booking system is revoked
- A Student Code of Conduct violation is filed with the Office of Student Affairs
Monday - Friday: 2pm - 8pm
The Studios Network offers many free workshops on various technologies, including creating and developing media projects. See our list of upcoming workshops for information on how to register.
Email email@example.com or stop by Newman Library, Room 209
We offer consultations on topics like audio and video project development, graphic design, and more. Visit our consultations page to see what topics we cover and request a time to speak with someone.
The Studios Network has a rolling hiring process. If you are interested in working in one or more of the studios, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.