Media Design Studio B
Media Design Studio B is a bookable space for library patrons to create or co-create various types of media independently or with help from our staff. Use our variety of hardware and software to record videos, record audio and music, and edit or produce your project on our computer workstations.
Media Design Studio B will only accept bookings made 24 hours in advance. We will not be open for walk-ins. A maximum of two patrons can be in the space for a booking. Padding time between bookings will automatically be added to the system to facilitate cleaning and allow for air circulation in the room. Face coverings will be required while in the space and can only be removed by patrons if they are actively recording audio or video that requires their voice.
If you plan to use Studios Network services, please review the policies listed below before coming to the library.
- Adobe Creative Cloud (Mac/PC)
- Camtasia (Mac/PC)
- Articulate Storyline (PC)
- Microsoft Office Suite (Mac/PC)
- Audacity Mac/PC)
- Inkscape (PC)
- GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP) (PC)
- Garageband (Mac)
Patrons and users are responsible for the following:
- Upon arrival, inform the student worker that you have a scheduled booking.
- Arrive within 30 minutes of your booking time or the reservation is forfeited, and the room becomes available for others on a first-come, first-served basis for the remainder of the reservation period.
- Leave the room in good condition for the next patrons, including resetting the room and placing trash in trash bins.
- You will be billed for repair or replacement for broken, lost, or stolen equipment. Amount of replacement costs are available upon request. Equipment will be assessed upon completion of booking to determine if these costs are necessary.
- Report any problems or issues with the space or equipment a Studio staff member immediately.
- Don’t leave your personal property unattended, including library materials that have been checked out. The Library is not liable for loss/damage to personal property.
Personal Data and Information
- Studios equipment is preloaded with available applications, and temporary storage space is available during your booking. Long-term storage is not guaranteed. We are not responsible for, nor can we recover, lost data.
- Reservations are limited to 2 hours total per person, per day but could be extended with special permission from management.
- Equipment owned by the University Libraries should not be removed from the Studio without prior approval from management.
- Studios are not intended to provide privacy. Library staff may enter the rooms as needed for security, maintenance, or other reasons.
- Library Management reserves the right to resolve schedule problems by adjusting reservations or schedules.
- To cancel a reservation, login to bookings.lib.vt.edu.
Repeated violations of these policies could result in administrative action, including – but not limited to – deletion of reservations or removal of an individual’s ability to make Studios reservations.
Please note, Studios’ management does not guarantee the availability of all advertised hardware or software due to unforeseen maintenance. Some advanced equipment may require consultation with the Studio manager before it will be made available.
Please read, as failure to follow these terms could mean forfeiture of your access to the University Libraries Studios Network.
In alignment with Governor Ralph Northam’s Executive Order 72, Executive Order 79, and new guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on masks, students and employees at Virginia Tech who are fully vaccinated do not have to wear masks in most indoor settings. Those who are not fully vaccinated should continue to wear masks in indoor settings.
Patrons need to vacate the bookable Studios promptly at the end of their booking, even if no one is waiting to use the space. This is to help avoid close contact between patrons and allow for the student worker to clean the Studio before the next patron comes in.
Patrons may not move furniture. All furniture is placed in such a way to ensure safety protocols from the state and the University are followed. All seats, tables, and power towers are linked in our booking system and must not be moved.
Patrons must follow all directives from library staff, including orders to leave the building in the situation in which the library needs to close early.
In the event that one or multiple of these terms are broken, any or all of the following actions can be taken:
- Patron receives a warning from library staff
- Patron’s booking is forfeited
- Patron is asked to leave the building
- Patron’s access to the booking system is revoked
- A Student Code of Conduct violation is filed with the Office of Student Affairs
Summer 2021 Hours
Appointments in Media Design Studio B will be available by request. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org request an appointment.
The Studios Network offers many free workshops on various technologies, including creating and developing media projects. See our list of upcoming workshops for information on how to register.
Email email@example.com or stop by Newman Library, Room 209
We offer consultations on topics like audio and video project development, graphic design, and more. Visit our consultations page to see what topics we cover and request a time to speak with someone.
Open positions for student employment in the Studios Network are listed on Handshake.com. If you are interested in working in one or more of the studios and have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on current openings.